Stamford Brook was once a tributary of the Thames, made up of a network of small streams used mostly for irrigation. Although all six strands of the brook have been covered over since at least 1900, the brook has given its name to the surrounding area, between Hammersmith and Chiswick.
The name “Stamford” is likely derived from “stone ford” or “sand ford”, which relates to the original crossing-point over the brook, probably along modern-day King Street.
Stamford Brook features two main types of property. The majority of the housing is Edwardian, and tends to be slightly larger than the Victorian terraced properties found in many of the surrounding areas. Mansion flats are also common, and the examples found in Stamford Brook are among the largest available on the market.
For those who would prefer a modern apartment to a large one, a scattering of newer properties – such as the stylish Vitae Apartments – are also available, mostly in the area towards Goldhawk Road.
Consequently, the area offers great value for money, and more space, than many of its neighbours. The other major attraction of Stamford Brook is its schooling, with John Betts Primary School, Latymer Upper School, and the Arts Educational School all nearby.
Alongside the residential property, Stamford Brook hosts a number of interesting buildings, both from an architectural and an historic perspective.
Two Listed buildings are located on Ravenscourt Gardens, around the corner from Stamford Brook Underground station. The older of these is the Grade-II* Listed Royal Masonic Hospital, built in 1933 to care for servicemen injured during the First World War. The other, a Grade-II Listed building, was constructed shortly afterwards to house the hospital’s nurses. In 2013 this building was converted into high-specification apartments, and renamed Ashlar Court.
The Royal Masonic Hospital remained independent after the founding of the NHS in 1948, providing free healthcare for Freemasons and accepting paying non-Freemason patients. The hospital was given NHS funding between 1992 and 2006 but is now largely vacant, as its Grade-II* status means it will be expensive to restore and maintain as a modern hospital.
South of King Street is another Grade-II Listed location. St Peter’s Square has a rich history, beginning as a public garden square before being converted into the Royal Chiswick Laundry at the end of the nineteenth century. The Laundry ran for over 75 years, before becoming the premises of Island Records.
Island Records converted the rear of 47 St Peter’s Square into a recording studio, using the base of the chimney to add reverberations to the music. The site was used primarily by Reggae artists, including Bob Marley and the Wailers, although other musicians including Amy Winehouse, Cat Stevens and U2 also recorded there.
The sound of the recordings, and the late hours the studio operated, caused some tension with the other local residents, who were relieved when the site was sold to the architects Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands in 2005, for £4.1 million. As a nod to the property’s history, the new occupants renamed the premises Island Studios.
Stamford Brook’s musical tradition is continued by the studios at British Grove, owned by former Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler. The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Ronan Keating, among others, have recorded albums there in the last decade.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Stamford Brook area, of if you would like to discuss the property market there, contact our Hammersmith team today on 020 8741 2200.
This is part of our series of articles on West London. You can read more here:
|Brentford||Brentford - Boston Manor - Great West Quarter|
|Chiswick||Bedford Park - Chiswick - Chiswick House and Gardens
Gunnersbury - Hogarth's House - Turnham Green
|Ealing||Ealing - Ealing Studios - Hanwell - Northfields - Perivale - Pitshanger
Pitzhanger Manor - Trailfinders - West Ealing
|Hammersmith||Hammersmith - Fulham - Shepherds Bush - Stamford Brook|
|Isleworth||Hounslow - Isleworth - Osterley House - Syon|