Sat 07 Oct 2017
There are two theories behind where Perivale takes its name from. Referred to as Greenforde Parva in the Domesday book - parva means small. The old name of Pyryvale could also have come from the word pear or perry, in reference to the orchards that once grew there.
Perivale had a population of just 25 in 1821 and there were still only 31 people living in the area in 1881. The 2011 census meanwhile recorded 15,339 inhabitants.
Up until the early 20th century, Perivale consisted of arable farms, woodland, a small church and a windmill. Now, despite the presence of the A40, Perivale is still a very green area, with Perivale athletics track, Perivale Park, Ealing Golf Club and Perivale Golf Course, as well as the local landmark of Horsenden Hill all providing some of the same open space that first attracted early settlers to the area.
Perivale Wood is a local nature reserve, believed to be one of the oldest in the country. Covering 29 acres, the wood is managed by the Selborne Society who protect its oak trees, ponds, streams, 568 species of moth, 115 types of bird and 17 different mammals. The Selborne Society welcomes new members to the wood and puts on an annual public open day.
St Mary's Perivale was first built in 1135 and has benefitted from numerous restorations over the centuries. Although no services have been held in the church since the early 1970s, many interesting monuments and features survive and the building remains in community use as a venue for chamber and instrumental music.
The Paddington to High Wycombe rail line served Perivale from the 1890s. The station, originally known as Perivale Halt, was replaced by the current station with a curved glass frontage in 1947. Construction on the new station began in 1938 but was delayed by the outbreak of WWII.
Sanderson wallpapers were produced from a large factory in Perivale from 1930 to 1972, which diversified during WWII to create camouflage wallpaper to hang over large buildings!
The Hoover Building, a Grade II* listed Art Deco factory, was built on the site of a farm in 1933 to manufacture vacuum cleaners. During WWII the building was covered in Sandersons' camouflage and, as well as making Hoover parts, the factory also produced aircraft components. By 1963 Hoover employed over 3000 locals at the factory, which was renowned for its excellent working conditions. Following the closure of the factory in 1982, Tesco built a store behind the Hoover Building in the early 1990s and the building itself is now being converted into characterful apartments.
The canal, rail and new road links in the Perivale area attracted many companies to build factories on the relatively cheap land. Houses soon followed to accommodate these factories' workers, increasing the population a hundredfold in just thirty years! Houses in the Perivale Park Estate, now known as the Medway estate, were considered smart with their twenty modern styles of elevation yet still affordable at £725.
To buy or rent a property in Perivale, or for a valuation of your Perivale property, please contact the Ealing team on 020 8567 6757.